Over the following weeks, I will give my take on the unique value proposition offered by small businesses, and the five things each and every one of them should be doing to make it in their market. To get the ball rolling, here is a brief outline of my 5 “musts” for small businesses:
Be Yourself (and let others tell your story)
- There is a romance about the owner/operator that offers the opportunity to forge a unique connection with the customer and community.
Be Easy to Find (and easy to use)
- People need to know who you are, what you’re selling and when you’re there. These are actually the most important advertisements you have – make sure you are paying attention to them.
- Traditional media has a place in your promotional mix, just make sure you are clear and succinct in your messaging (takes 7 impressions before most will act)
- Not a fan of social media? Tough…
- The old adage is true: You have to spend money to make money